About The USS Edson, DD-946
Commissioned in 1958, the USS Edson was one of eighteen Forrest Sherman-class destroyers built for the U.S. Navy. Named for Major General Merritt “Red Mike” Edson USMC (1897–1955), the Edson was built by the Bath Iron Works in Bath, Maine. The Edson served throughout the Vietnam War and Cold War, and fired the most five-inch shells of any destroyer, earning her the motto "Three Guns, No Waiting," as well as the nickname "Gray Ghost of the Vietnamese Coast." Her active naval career came to an end in 1988 when she was decommissioned from service and transferred to the Philadelphia Inactive Ships Maintenance Facility, where she was placed into storage.
The Edson began her second career in 1989, when she was transferred to the Intrepid Sea-Air-Space Museum in New York City to serve as a museum ship. In 1990, the Edson received National Historic Landmark status. She remained a museum ship at the ISASM until 2004, when she was returned to Philadelphia and reentered storage. After considering proposals from various organizations, the U.S. Navy's Naval Sea Systems Command awarded the Edson to the Saginaw Valley Naval Ship Museum for use once more as a museum ship. The Edson arrived at Bay City on May 7, 2013, where she remains today.